The Sebastian Inlet District, located in Indialantic, Florida is seeking a full-time Public Information Associate.
Position Closing: Until Filled
Additional Information about the Sebastian Inlet District: www.sitd.us
NATURE AND SCOPE:
This professional position supports a broad range of duties in a 3-person office to fulfill the mission of the Sebastian Inlet District, supports the Executive Director and coordinates with the public, various agencies, contractors and consultants working with the District. This position is for an individual with a highly effective writing and communication style to engage a variety of audiences. The position will focus on developing and disseminating public information through various media platforms; website maintenance; maintaining the collection and inventory of historical archives and new data, including drawings, documents, photos and digital files; and developing consumable products for the public from such information and materials in order to build and maintain a positive public image for the District. This position assists with monthly commission meeting preparation and other administrative support duties as assigned.
OVERALL JOB FUNCTION:
This position reports to the Executive Director. This position supports the development and distribution of information to the public related to the Sebastian Inlet District. Additionally, this position is responsible for District concurrence with Florida Department of Economic Opportunity for Florida Special Districts Regulations, public speaking presentations, exhibits, publications and brochures, social media, website management, inventory and handling of District data, images, documents, and provides administrative support to the offices of the Executive Director and Contracts and Accounting Manager.
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations or related field with a minimum of 7 years of experience in a public outreach role. Must have experience with the current forms of social media, computer publication programs, strong writing and editing skills, PowerPoint and public speaking; experience in grant writing, exhibit design, image editing programs such as Photoshop, document scanning with word recognition programs and graphics. Experience with and knowledge of Indian River Lagoon issues, Inlet/Beach projects, boating, saltwater fishing and Florida State Parks preferred.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THIS POSITION:
- Prepare commission meeting agenda and meeting packets.
- Record and prepare minutes of Commission meetings and public workshops.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically.
- Develop content for and Maintain District social media platforms and website.
- Ability of run public relations campaigns to support District program and objectives.
- Write and post weekly Sebastian Inlet fishing reports on the District website.
- Ability to pitch content to the media.
- Write and coordinate publishing of press releases and legal ads.
- Assist District staff on projects when needed.
- Organize files, charts, data, and storage items.
- Maintain and update District policy and procedures manuals.
- Attend meetings as necessary or requested/directed.
- Interact with consultants as necessary or requested/directed.
- Answer telephones, log District mail, and respond to media and public records requests.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS OR REGISTRATIONS:
- Must possess a valid FL driver license.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS:
This position requires extended periods of typing/keyboarding and working at a computer screen; periods of writing, filing and editing; and occasional lifting and/or moving of up to 25 lbs. Daily work is typically performed in the District’s office and not remote, but incumbent may be required to make site visits to other work locations, which may be outdoors and may require walking on uneven terrain.
This job description is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of all the responsibilities, skills or working conditions associated with this position. While it is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements, Management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties and assign other duties as necessary.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Applications must include a 1-page cover letter, example of writings (if available), and resume with 3 recent professional references.
Email application to James Gray, Jr., Executive Director - Email: email@example.com.
DISTRICT OFFERED BENEFITS:
- Employer paid Medical/Dental/Vision insurance
- Employer/Employee funded Florida Retirement System participation
- Employer funded SEP-IRA
- Employee funded Florida 457(b) Retirement Plan available
- Vacation and Sick Leave