It’s a beautiful day at the Sebastian Inlet. Winds are blowing out of the Southwest at 5 mph, gusting to 10 and there is a moderate chop on the water. NOAA is calling for small craft to exercise caution this morning but winds will begin to diminish this afternoon. That should give our beach anglers a nice opportunity to get out and do a little surf fishing. There should be some Pompano, Reds and Snook and migrating Spanish Mackerel and Blues out there in the surf!
The bite from the north jetty as been slow. We’ve had a variety of species in small numbers come over the rails this week, but nothing to get real excited about. Small numbers of Blues, Jacks, Snook, Reds, Pompano and Sheepshead have been hitting sporadically.
Our angler of the day is Sally Baughman of Jackson Hole, WY. Sally comes every winter to escape the colder months and she always has good luck with Snook. This photo, taken on a windy day in March was no exception. Sally couldn’t even keep a hat on her head. Nice catch, see you next winter Sally!
Send in your photos and fishing updates!
April is Florida Volunteer Appreciation Month. The FWC is always looking for volunteers to assist with projects. This is a great opportunity for young people to perform community service hours. Here are some projects that FWC volunteers are assisting with:
- Collecting data to increase knowledge of Florida’s imperiled species.
- Instructing youth, residents and visitors on how to become responsible outdoor recreators.
- Rescuing marine mammals.
- Monitoring and restoring oyster reef habitat.
- Constructing, installing and monitoring nest boxes for southeastern American kestrels and wood ducks.
- Helping construct and maintain a gravity-fed irrigation system for plants used in scrub habitat restoration.
- Helping improve visitors’ experiences at many of the FWC’s wildlife management areas.
- Helping organize scientific data.
Go to MyFWC.com/Get Involved, to see FWC volunteer opportunities available statewide and by region. Additionally, volunteers can sign-up for projects on the MyFWC.com/Calendar, where a wide range of volunteer opportunities are advertised.